Twelve participants have been announced for The Family of Twelve’s second annual wine tutorial in August 2019.
Family Chair Paul Donaldson has called it, “our largest single investment in the future of New Zealand fine wine.”
“This year’s tutorial will be another exciting learning opportunity for the twelve successful wine industry participants”, says Donaldson.
From a field of applicants, the Family has chosen a cohort of twelve passionate participants comprising of five Australians, six Kiwis, and one Kiwi soon heading off to the UK. The group includes:
• Banjo Harris Plane, co-founder of online wine sales business The Wine Gallery, founder of Bar Liberty, founder of Capitano, co-founder of food, wine and hospitality forum GROW – Melbourne\
• Bridget Raffal, head sommelier, Sixpenny Restaurant – Sydney
• Dion Wai, sommelier, Huka Lodge (Relais & Châteaux) – Taupo
• Josh Pointon, owner operator, Noble Rot – Wellington
• Lisa Cardelli, head sommelier and wine buyer, Rockpool Group, Rosetta Restaurant – Melbourne
• Liz Buttimore, owner operator, Arbour Restaurant – Blenheim
• Matt Bocock, sommelier, Wholesale Boot Company Restaurant (WBC) – Wellington
• Meg Abbott-Walker, educator and restaurant consultant – Auckland
• Melissa Moore, head sommelier, Hotel Centennial, Merivale Group – Sydney
• Michael Ormandy, sales and marketing manager, Vino Fino, Christchurch
• Miyuki Morimoto, sommelier, The Grove Restaurant, Auckland
• Richard Healy, wine director, NSW and Queensland, Rockpool Dining Group, Sydney
The participants will be tutored by eight Family winemakers. This year’s team will be led by Blair Walter of Felton Road with Stephen Wong MW as this year’s external moderator. The tutorial also includes a series of blind-tasting workshops.
The tutorial is aimed at those who work in marketing and distribution, and who work on the restaurant and wine shop floor. The goal is for these tutorials to “develop the skills of those showing potential to take New Zealand wine’s message to the world. New Zealand relies on our future leaders and ambassadors”, says Donaldson.
The tutorial will be held at Villa Maria’s Auckland estate 4-6th August.
Photo left to right: Clive Weston (Nautilus Estate), Miyuki Morimoto (The Grove Restaurant), Karen Fistonich (Villa Maria Estate), Meg Abbott-Walker (Educator and Wine Consultant)