Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker
Current Issue – June 2019 (No. 665)
Grapegrower & Winemaker provides subscribers with access to an online version of each print issue.
- If you are a subscriber view the complete issue by logging in with your username and password here.
- If you are not a subscriber, subscribe today for your print copy and online access click here.
- Download complete digital edition, or subscribe to digital edition.
- To download articles click here.
The June 2019 issue of the Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker features the only pre-event guide to the Australian wine industry’s premier technical event – the Australian Wine Industry Technical Conference and complementary trade exhibition WineTech – taking place from 21-24 July.
Also in this issue, Ben Rose takes a close look at the Klima mechanised cane pruning system and asks why robotic cane pruners are yet to become a commercial reality even though their development has been talked about for some years.
Kim Chalmers also reveals some new arrivals in alternative varieties now available from her family’s boutique vine propagation business at Merbein, including new clones to Australia of Ansonia, Teroldego, Verdicchio and Grechetto, and three completely new varieties in Nero di Troia, Ribolla Gialla and Pecorino.
In Winemaking, journalist Hans Mick explores some potential alternatives to electrical refrigeration that can cut down a winery’s reliance on traditional cooling, while Rhys Howlett goes behind the scenes to learn about Yarra Yering’s Dry Red No.2 from winemaker Sarah Crowe.
And in a Grapegrower & Winemaker first, our Young Gun column features a duo in Victorian couple Tessa Brown and Jeremy Schmölzer – the double act behind Beechworth’s Vignerons Schmölzer & Brown.
- Australian wine exports continue to grow in value
- Australian prices hold firm despite global softening
- Australia takes second place in International Wine Challenge, New Zealand sixth
- Vale Colin Campbell
- Future Leaders of Australian wine announced
- What happened to the robotic pruner?
- New arrivals in alternative varieties
- Reaping rewards: Barossa’s new thinking to tackle climate change
- What’s online
- In this issue
- Winetitles Insights
- Wine Australia: R&D at work
- Ask the AWRI
- Young Gun
- Looking back
- Marketplace classifieds
- Turning down the heat on refrigeration costs
- Alternatives to refrigeration
- Yarra Yering Dry Red No.2
- Young Guns: Tessa Brown and Jeremy Schmölzer – a dynamic duo
Ask the AWRI
Business & Technology
- Proposed changes to SA’s container deposit scheme and your business
- Time to review documents with warranties to consumers
- Roundup litigation in United States off rails
- A matter of heritage: what Australian family wine businesses can learn from their European counterparts
Sales & Marketing
- Unpacking the popularity and panache of Pinot G
- Eating wine to discover flavour