|Grapegrower & Winemaker||Wine & Viticulture Journal||Wine Industry Directory||
||Daily Wine News||
Adelaide Hills Wine Festival offers masterclasses
Subscribe to Daily Wine News e-mail
Browse the DWN Archive by date
The Adelaide Hills Wine Festival, Crush, taking place this weekend, will give visitors opportunity to meet the names behind the wines in a series of tutorials.
Following their popularity when they were launched last year, Crush 10 will offer a series of tutored tastings known as Masterclasses.
Adelaide Hills Wine Region executive officer Denise Mason says the classes give visitors opportunity to meet the industry’s emerging stars and learn inside secrets from winemakers in seated tastings, free of charge.
The Discover More Masterclasses held at intervals during the day on Sunday 24 January include Darryl Catlin (Shaw and Smith) and Penny Jones (Petaluma) discussing the secrets of Sparkling at Hahndorf Academy; Leigh Ratzmer (Wicks Estate) and Andrew Bondar (Nepenthe) on Riesling at Alec Johnston Park, Hahndorf; and Peter Dredge (Petaluma) and Michael Sykes (Lodestone) looking at cutting-edge alternative varietals at Lobethal.
“The January event will of course also be a chance to escape the heat of the city to relax in the freshness of the Adelaide Hills, and sip on a glass of exquisite wine on a lawn in dappled shade and listen to some great bands,” Mason said.
“46 wineries are participating at various locations, so guests can leisurely meander from cellar door to cellar door throughout the hills, or attend one of six ‘cluster’ events, where several wineries come together.”
In addition to the main festival on the Sunday there are a number of unique gourmet ticketed events in the week leading up to Crush including:
• a cheesemaking class with Sheree Sullivan of Udder Delights along with a wine tasting and light supper at Bird in Hand, Thurs Jan 21
• Twilight Tasting – a regional cheese platter and wine tasting watching the black cockatoos fly in at dusk at Sinclairs Gully, Friday 22 January
• ChocoVino – a tasting of fine wines matched to the world’s most luxurious chocolate at Hahndorf Hill Winery, Saturday 23 January
• Splendour in the Garden – lunch at Barrat Wines, Saturday 23 January
• Tutored tastings and lunch at Petaluma’s Bridgewater Mill, Saturday 23 January
The full brochure is available at www.crushfestival.com.au