|Grapegrower & Winemaker||Wine & Viticulture Journal||Wine Industry Directory||
||Daily Wine News||
University of Adelaide launches new Bachelor of Viticulture & Oenology degree
Subscribe to Daily Wine News e-mail
Browse the DWN Archive by date
The University of Adelaide is launching its new degree of Bachelor of Viticulture and Oenology.
It follows a re-evaluation of undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by the School of Agriculture Food and Wine, and through Roseworthy Agriculture College, since 1936.
Re-evaluation and feedback from employers and external stakeholders suggested a need to revise the existing programs to better reflect the needs of the Australian wine industry and students wanting to pursue a career in the wine industry.
The four-year degree will consolidate the two existing programs into one structure that was developed from routine consultation with industry representatives, past and present students, staff members of the oenology and viticulture programs, staff from overseas institutions offering similar programs, and with advisement from the Wine 2030 Advisory Board.
Key attributes of the new degree include:
• allowing students equal access to both viticulture and oenology topics, with the option of completing an industry experience placement in either viticulture and/or oenology
• including a large number of practical examples and applications
• developing lifelong learning skills through the application of problem-based learning principles, particularly though hands-on viticultural and winemaking projects
• making industry projects available for final year students through an Honours stream
• delivering a significant proportion of lecture material in higher-level courses from wine industry practitioners and researchers, in particular from the Wine Innovation Cluster, based at the Waite Campus
• basing laboratory classes on real applications using the world-class facilities of the Hickinbotham Roseworthy Wine Science Laboratory and Coombe Vineyard
All graduates are able to find paid industry experience during their 4th year.
For more information please contact Paul Grbin on +61 (0) 8 8303 7302, or email ; or Brent Kaiser on +61 (0) 8 8303 6650, or email .
Alternatively, visit www.sciences.adelaide.edu.au